What can I do?
Snacking between meals
Healthy snack options – there are plenty!
If you have diabetes, choosing healthy, well-portioned snack options can help manage your blood glucose and weight.2 Below we list some examples of healthy snacks, including some delicious snack recipes using Glucerna.1,2 You can also download and print a healthy snacks information sheet from the National Diabetes Services Scheme.
- Fresh or tinned fruit (e.g. 1 peach, 3 apricots, 1 pear, 2 mandarins, grapes, ½ a mango, 3 plums, 1 banana, 1 orange, 1 circle of pineapple)
- 1 serve of dried fruit (e.g. 1 tbsp sultanas, 6 prunes, 4 apricots)
- Vegetable sticks (e.g. celery, carrot, capsicum, snow peas) with 1 tbsp low-fat dip
- Celery boats filled with 2 tbsp cottage cheese and tomato
- 30 grams (small handful) of nuts or seeds (plain, raw and unsalted is best)
- 1 slice of bread with a thin spread of margarine, avocado or low-fat cottage cheese with sliced tomato and sprouts (plain or toasted; grainy/seeded bread is best)
- Half wholegrain English muffin with one slice of low-fat cheese and a sliced tomato
- 1 small wholemeal pita pocket or wrap with salad and low-fat cheese
Dairy or alternatives
- Small portion of yoghurt (100g low-fat flavoured or 200g of diet/natural/plain)
- 1 cup (250mL) low-fat plain milk/soy milk
- ½ cup high-fibre breakfast cereal
- 1 cup or 250mL of any low-fat flavoured milk or soy milk or fruit smoothie
- 1 café latté / flat white / cappuccino with low-fat milk/ soy milk
- 1 glass of Glucerna
- 1 Glucerna banana smoothie
- 1 cup plain popcorn
- 30 grams of salt-reduced pretzels
- Rice cakes or wheat biscuits topped with cottage cheese, tomato and chives
- 2 small sushi rolls (avoid using soy sauce)
- 1 small portion of Glucerna zucchini pasta bake
- 1 Glucerna raspberry chia pot
- 1 Glucerna berry smoothie bowl
- 1 small piece of Glucerna mango ice cream slice
- 1 small portion of Glucerna bread pudding with banana and hazelnuts
1. Diabetes Australia. Between meal snacks. Available at: https://www.diabetesaustralia.com.au/between-meal-snacks. Accessed 28 October 2018.
2. National Diabetes Services Scheme and Diabetes Australia. Healthy snacks. Available at: https://static.diabetesaustralia.com.au/s/fileassets/diabetes-australia/201fcd3d-3b7c-4f5f-a81a-46a200b1fa84.pdf. Accessed 28 October 2018.