What can I do?
Take control of your diabetes
When you have diabetes, keeping your blood glucose levels within the target range recommended by your healthcare professional can be challenging. But following the basic principles of a healthy lifestyle can be immensely helpful.
A healthy lifestyle, including a healthy diet and regular physical activity, are vital to living well with diabetes. The right diet and regular exercise will help you manage your blood glucose levels, lower risk of diabetes complications, and keep you healthy.1
It makes sense then that looking after your health should be a priority for every person with diabetes (and without!). The good news is, it only takes a little bit of effort and time each day to take control of your diabetes. Remember, managing diabetes is a team effort, and you are the captain!
Here, we’ve compiled helpful information on nutrition, exercise and lifestyle that can help you manage your blood glucose levels and improve your health. Click on the list below to read some of our short, informative articles. We hope you will find them helpful
- Eating right for diabetes
- Healthy eating for older people
- Snacking between meals
- Exercise – benefits and how much
- An exercise plan for every woman and man!
- Top tips for getting exercise
- Get creative on your ‘rest’ days
- TLC for your feet
- The dawn phenomenon
- How to stress less – it affects your blood glucose
Winning mealtime routines
Easter Eating Made Easy
Easter and chocolate go hand in hand. While avoiding over-indulgence sounds hard, with these smart swaps, you can say no to excess sugar without spoiling the fun:
1. Better Health Channel. Diabetes. Available at: https://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/health/conditionsandtreatments/diabetes?viewAsPdf=true. Accessed 28 October 2018.
2. Centers for Disease control and Prevention, Diabetes Meal Planning. Available at: https://www.cdc.gov/diabetes/managing/eat-well/meal-plan-method.html#:~:text=You'll%20want%20to%20plan,higher%20than%20protein%20or%20fat. Accessed 24th of November 2020.